Skip to Main Content
Ask About Financing


My Dog Ate Gum: Is That Dangerous?

My Dog Ate Gum: Is That Dangerous?

Are you worried because your dog has eaten chewing gum? Our Fremont vets share everything you'll need to know, including when to bring your dog to see us. 

What Happens if a Dog Eats Gum?

Many pet parents have experienced that moment when they walk into the kitchen and discover their dog has gotten into their gum package and eaten their gum. If this has happened to you, you're likely wondering what to do next, which signs of illness to look for, and whether this a veterinary emergency. 

These are completely normal questions to have because your dog's digestive system is different from humans and gum is not something they should eat. In many cases, your dog will be perfectly fine if they've eaten a piece of gum and will not display any signs of sickness. 

However, sometimes dogs can become very sick and will need to see one of our vets in Fremont. 

According to statistics from the Pet Poison Hotline, we're seeing a substantial increase in the number of products that use xylitol. Consequently, xylitol pet poisonings have more than doubled in the past five years. In 2020, the number of calls to the helpline about xylitol poisoning was second only to calls regarding chocolate poisoning. 

What is Xylitol?

Xylitol is a low-calorie sugar substitute and often used by manufacturers because its sweetness is similar to table sugar but with fewer calories. It is a type of carbohydrate, does not contain alcohol and occurs naturally in small amounts in fruits and vegetables, corncobs and trees. It is a common ingredient in many products, including toothpaste and sugar-free chewing gum. It can also be used as a tabletop sweetener or in baking. 

It's even found in the human body and research suggests that it may also prevent ear infections, improve dental health and possess antioxidant properties.

Though xylitol is harmless for people, it can be toxic for dogs. 

Symptoms of Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs

The most common symptoms of xylitol toxicity to watch for if your dog has eaten gum:

  • Tremors
  • Stumbling
  • Weakness
  • Collapse
  • Seizures
  • Coma

How to Determine Whether it's an Emergency

If your dog has gotten a hold of your gum, one of the first things you might think to do is to search online for information about "what to do if my dog ate gum."

Some dogs start to show obvious signs of xylitol toxicity, such as lethargy or weakness. Perhaps they collapse or have trouble breathing, pale gums and vomiting or tremors or seizures. If this is true for your dog, it's time to bring them to our Fremont animal hospital right away because these are signs of toxicity and that is a veterinary emergency.

Even if your dog is not exhibiting these symptoms it is a good idea to contact Ace Animal Hospital to determine the next steps. They may want to monitor your dog as a precaution.

What if My Dog Ate Sugar-Free Chewing Gum Without Xylitol?

If your dog eats gum without xylitol, your dog may end up with an upset stomach, especially if they ate a lot of it. You should keep a close eye on your dog because this gum may not be toxic but it does have other potential side effects if eaten, including an intestinal blockage. Symptoms of intestinal blockage in your dog include drooling, vomiting, lack of appetite, and abdominal pain. 

Since dogs are so curious, you may want to switch to gum without Xylitol in the future to avoid any serious issues.

What to Watch for in the First 30 Minutes to 1 Hour

You will need to watch your dog for about 24 hours after you discover that they have eaten your gum. The first 30 minutes to an hour is when the most serious symptoms will start to happen. The earlier you get your dog checked out by the vet the better chance your dog will not have any serious complications. 

It usually takes anywhere from 10-24 hours for something to pass through your dog's digestive system. Gum is almost impossible for the body to break down, so it must pass through your dog's system if swallowed. 

If your dog has eaten a lot of gum, it can cause a blockage in your dog's intestines, keeping other food from passing. This happens if your dog also consumes the gum's wrapper or packaging. It could take a few days for the signs of a blockage to become clear to you.

Symptoms of a blockage can include vomiting, abdominal tenderness, constipation, lack of appetite, or unusual behavior, so it can be hard to tell if your dog is sick or has a blockage. If your vet suspects a blockage, X-rays will be needed to determine the extent of the issue. The gum can become stuck and if that happens surgery will probably be required. 

If you notice the gum coming out of your dog's bum, do not attempt to pull it out. This could cause serious damage to your dog's intestinal tract. Take your dog to a vet where the object can be removed safely.

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.

Has your dog eaten gum and you're worried something may be wrong? Contact Ace Animal Hospital right away for emergency veterinary care.

New Patients Welcome

Ace Animal Hospital is accepting new patients! Our experienced vets are passionate about the health of Fremont companion animals. Get in touch today to book your pet's first appointment.

Contact Us

(510) 790-2525 Contact

Open Modal